How do I set parental controls?
You can create a Kid profile for each of your kids with parental controls that limit what content can be watched. You can also use a PIN to prevent your child from switching to another profile.
Create a Kid profile
To set parental controls, create a Kid profile for your child with parental controls. Here's how:
- Choose the Profile icon and then Switch Profiles.
- Choose + Add Kid on the 'Who is Watching' screen. If your account doesn't have a PIN, you'll be asked to create one.
- Enter your child's name and their birth date (month and year), choose a color, and then choose Next.
- Choose the content ratings that your child can watch. Movies and shows with content ratings above what you select can't be watched by this profile. (The default selections are recommended and based on the birth date you entered). By default, your child can't switch to another profile (without your PIN).
- Choose Save.
When a Kid profile is active, you'll see the Kids Home screen and the Browse menu will include content for kids. To learn more, see All about Kid profiles.
You can select an episode or movie on HBO Max to see its rating. The rating also appears in the upper-left corner when you start playing an episode or movie. To learn more about the movie ratings, go to motionpictures.org/film-ratings, and for TV ratings go to TV Parental Guidelines.
- If your device has parental controls set that are more restrictive than the content ratings you set (in Step 4 above), HBO Max will follow the device-level parental controls.
- HBO Max doesn't follow parental controls that you may have set with your TV provider.