Ads on HBO Max
Some shows and movies may have ads depending on your HBO Max subscription plan:
- With Ads: Ads play before and during select shows and movies.
- Ad-Free: Stream without ads. To skip promotional trailers before a show or movie, choose the Skip button.
If you're seeing ads before and during shows and movies, your subscription plan is HBO Max With Ads.
Questions and answers
Here's how to find your subscription plan:
- Open the HBO Max app or sign in to HBOMax.com on your computer. Can't sign in?
- Do one of the following:
- Phone or tablet: Tap your profile (upper right), the Settings icon , and then tap or scroll to Subscription.
- TV device: Choose the Settings icon and then choose Account.
- Computer: Choose your profile (upper right), then choose Settings, and find Subscription.
(Subscription info is only available for Adult profiles.)
- Here you'll find your current plan (Ad-Free or With Ads).
To learn more about plans, see HBO Max plans. If you'd like to change plans, see How do I switch plans?
If you have HBO Max with Ads, you'll see ads before and during select shows and movies. The brands and ad frequency depend on the show or movie you're watching.
The ads will also vary depending on whether or not your profile has parental controls. Ad breaks during kids and family content have a quick animation to let you know when an ad break starts and ends.
You can pause playback to see the location of ad breaks on the video progress bar. Here's how:
- Phone, tablet, or computer: Tap or click the screen.
- TV device: Press Pause or the D-pad down button on your remote.
You can use these markers to better plan your snack schedule while you watch.
When an ad break starts, the number of ads in the ad break appears in the upper-left corner. There's also a timer that counts down to the end of the ad. You can expect to see about 4 minutes of ads per hour.
No, fast forward and skip aren't available when an ad is playing. Our Ad-Free plan doesn't have commercials. To learn more, see HBO Max plans.
You may see a specific brand more often while watching a series, a long movie, or a similar genre (like comedies). Brands can also sponsor shows and movies. When you're watching sponsored content, you may see a similar ad at the beginning of each episode.
If you see an ad that seems inappropriate for the show or movie you're watching, you can let us know using our Feedback form. Be sure to include the brand or product along with the show or movie you were watching.
To find out how you can advertise on HBO Max, go to HBOMax.com/advertising.