Ads on HBO Max
- Why does HBO Max have ads?
- When will I see ads?
- How many ads are there?
- Can I fast forward or skip ads?
- Why am I seeing the same ad again and again?
- Can I give feedback on the ads?
- How do I advertise on HBO Max?
Why does HBO Max have ads?
Some shows and movies on HBO Max may have ads depending on your subscription plan. Depending on your provider, you can choose from two plans:
- With Ads: You'll see ads before and during select shows and movies.
- Ad-Free: Stream all of HBO Max without ads.
If you're seeing ads during a show or movie, your subscription plan is HBO Max With Ads.
Here's how to see which subscription plan you have. Here's how:
- Open the HBO Max app or sign in to HBOMax.com on your computer. Can't sign in?
- Do one of the following:
- Phone or tablet: Tap your profile (upper right), the Settings icon , and then tap or scroll to Subscription.
- TV device: Choose the Settings icon and then choose Account.
- Computer: Choose your profile (upper right), then choose Settings, and find Subscription.
(Subscription info is only available for Adult profiles.)
- Here you can find your current plan. You can also find who your subscription is billed through (your billing provider).
When will I see ads?
If you have HBO Max with Ads, you'll see ads while browsing and streaming HBO Max.
While you browse HBO Max, you’ll see brand sponsored collections of content.
You’ll see ads before and during select shows and movies. The brands and ad frequency depend on the show or movie you're watching.
The ads you see will vary depending on the show you're watching and whether or not your profile has parental controls. Ad breaks during kids and family content have a quick animation to let you know when an ad break starts and ends.
If you see an ad that seems inappropriate for the show or movie you're watching, you can let us know using our feedback form.
When you're streaming, there are markers on the progress bar for ad breaks. To see the ad breaks on the progress bar:
- Phone, tablet, or computer: Tap or click the screen.
- TV device: Pause playback or press the D-pad down button on your remote.
You can use these markers to better plan your snack schedule while you watch.
How many ads are there?
When an ad break starts, you can see how many ads are in the ad break in the upper-left corner. There's also a timer that counts down to the end of the ad. You can expect to see about 4 minutes of ads per hour.
Can I fast forward or skip ads?
No, fast forward and skip are not available when an ad is playing. Our Ad-Free plan does not have commercials. To learn more, see HBO Max plans.
Why am I seeing the same ad again and again?
You may see a specific brand more often while watching a series, a long movie, or a similar genre (like comedies). Brands can also sponsor shows and movies. When you're watching sponsored content, you may see a similar ad at the beginning of each episode.
If you have feedback about an ad, see the next section.
Can I give feedback on the ads?
Yes, you can send us feedback about ads on HBO Max using our feedback form. Be sure to include the brand or product along with the show or movie you were watching.
How do I advertise on HBO Max?
To learn about how you can advertise on HBO Max, go to HBOMax.com/advertising.