Why was I charged after I canceled?
If you notice a subscription charge after you cancel your HBO Max subscription, it may be because…
- You canceled just before your auto-renewal date
- Your subscription is still active
- You have more than one subscription
You canceled just before your auto-renewal date
You may have canceled your subscription less than 24 hours before your next billing date. Some providers will charge you 1 or 2 days before your next billing cycle starts (the timing of this charge varies by billing provider).
Your subscription is still active
If you notice a subscription charge after canceling, your subscription might still be active. Check if your subscription has an expiration date and/or a canceled status.
To check the status of your subscription, find your billing provider below:
- Amazon Appstore: Go to Manage your Appstore subscription.
- Apple: Follow Apple's cancellation steps. If your HBO Max subscription has been canceled, there will be a subscription end date (and there won't be a cancel option).
- Google Play: Go to Google's Subscriptions page and sign in to the Google account with your HBO Max subscription. If your subscription has been canceled, there will be an option to Restart or Renew. For more info, go to: Google's cancellation steps.
- Hulu: Sign in to your Hulu account at hulu.com/account and check if the HBO Max Add-on is listed under Your Subscription. Also, choose View Charges to see upcoming charges. If HBO Max hasn't been canceled, follow Hulu's cancellation steps.
- Prime Video Channels: Go to Manage Your Prime Video Channels and sign in to your Amazon account. If your HBO Max subscription has been canceled, there will be a subscription end date (and there won't be a Cancel Channel option).
- Roku: Sign in to your Roku account at my.roku.com. Choose Manage your subscriptions. Here you can check if your HBO Max subscription is still active. For more info, go to: Roku's cancellation steps.
- Samsung: Sign in to your Samsung account at samsungcheckout.com and then from the Purchase History menu, choose Subscriptions. Find HBO Max and choose Unsubscribe (if available). For more info, go to: Samsung's cancellation steps.
- YouTube TV: Sign in to your YouTube TV account at tv.youtube.com. Choose your profile picture, then Settings and Membership. If your subscription has been canceled, you'll have an Add option.
- WarnerMedia Direct, LLC: Sign in at HBOMax.com/account. If your subscription has been canceled, but hasn't expired you'll see the option to resume your subscription (if your subscription has expired, you'll be prompted to subscribe). Need help? See Manage WarnerMedia subscription.
- TV or mobile provider: Sign in to your TV or mobile provider account to check the status of your HBO Max subscription. If you need help doing this, contact your provider.
If you're not sure who your billing provider is (or they aren't listed above), go to Who's billing me. Once you know your billing provider, choose them on the How to cancel page.
You have more than one subscription
You might have multiple HBO Max accounts.
To find multiple accounts...
To check if you have more than one account, do the following:
- Open HBO Max on each device that you use (phone, tablet, TV, computer).
- Do one of the following:
- Phone or tablet: Tap your profile (upper right), the Settings icon , and then find or tap Account.
- TV device: Choose the Settings icon (lower left) and then choose Account.
- Computer: Choose your profile (upper right), then choose Settings, and find Account.
- Take note of your account email address.
Signed in with multiple email addresses?
If you find more than one email address, then you have multiple HBO Max accounts. To fix this, for each account go to Settings to find out who's billing you (go to Who's billing me?).
Once you know who's billing you, you can decide which subscription you want to cancel (go to How do I cancel?).
Don't find more than one account?
If you're signed in with the same account on all devices and you're finding multiple charges each month, call us at 1 855-442-6629. When you call, be sure to have the following info handy:
- Your HBO Max email address
- Your ZIP Code
- Info about charges on your credit card, debit card, or PayPal account