Set HBO Max parental controls
You can create a Kid profile for each of your kids with parental controls that limit what content can be watched. You can also use a PIN to prevent your child from switching to another profile. Learn more about Kid profiles.
You can set parental controls on a new Kid profile or change controls on an existing Kid profile.
Here’s how to set parental controls for a new Kid profile:
- Choose your profile (upper left on TVs, upper right on other devices)
- Choose Switch Profiles.
- Choose Add Kid (or + Kid on TVs). If your account doesn't have a PIN, you'll be asked to create one.
- Do one of the following:
- Phone or tablet: Tap the Camera icon and then choose to take a photo, upload a picture, or choose a character. Then, pick a color and enter your child's name and birth date (month and year).
- TV or computer: Enter your child's name and birth date (month and year) and then pick a color (you can add a profile picture later).
- Choose Next.
- Choose the content ratings that your child can watch. Movies and shows with content ratings above what you select can't be watched by this profile. (The default selections are recommended and based on the birth date you entered).
- Choose Save.
When a Kid profile is active, you'll see the Kids Home screen and the Browse menu will include content for kids. To edit a Kid profile, see Edit a profile.
Here’s how to change parental controls on an existing Kid profile:
- Choose a Kid profile.
- Choose Switch Profiles and then Manage Profiles (you may need to scroll down).
- Choose a profile. Kid profiles have a Lock icon.
- Enter your PIN (if required) and choose Enter. If you have trouble entering your PIN, press the Select or OK button on your remote to open the on-screen keyboard.
- You can change your child's name and birth date, and the ratings they're allowed to watch. You can also select or unselect the Require PIN to switch profiles check box.
- Choose Save.
You can’t change a Kid profile to an Adult profile. Instead, you can select the highest TV and movie ratings to allow this profile to stream all content.
Ratings provide guidance about the age-appropriateness of episodes and movies on HBO Max. The maturity rating for an episode or movie appears:
- On the details page for an episode or movie.
- In the upper-left corner when you first start playing an episode or movie.
There are six movie and TV ratings to choose from:
- All Suitable for all ages
- 7+ Recommended for ages 7 and older
- 10+ Recommended for ages 10 and older
- 13+ Recommended for ages 13 and older
- 16+ Recommended for ages 16 and older
- 18+ Suitable for ages 18 and older
When traveling to countries where HBO Max is available, your parental controls continue to be applied. Shows and movies are rated according to the local ratings system, which may vary from your country's ratings. To learn more, see Stream HBO Max while traveling.
- Check to see if restrictions are set on your device (e.g. on iOS check for Content Restrictions). If your device has parental controls that are more restrictive (than what you set in HBO Max), HBO Max will follow the parental controls set on your device.
- HBO Max doesn't follow parental controls that you may have set with your TV provider.