Download HBO Max shows and movies
You can download shows and movies on your phone or tablet and watch them later when you're offline.
To download something, you need:
- An internet connection
- A phone or tablet with HBO Max
Here's how to download a show or movie:
- Open HBO Max on your phone or tablet.
- Choose an episode or movie that you want to download. Most shows and movies are available to download.
- Tap the Download icon .
- The Download Progress icon updates to show you the progress. Tap this icon to pause or resume downloading.
The Download Complete icon appears when the download is done. Tap the Downloads icon (bottom edge) to see a list of your downloads.
Your account can have up to 30 downloads at one time across all profiles and devices (expired items are not counted). Once you start watching a download, you have 48 hours to finish watching it before it expires. Once expired, you can renew or delete the download.
- Audio and subtitles. You can choose your audio and subtitle language once you start watching. For some shows and movies, you may need to choose a language before downloading.
- SD card storage. Titles that you download are stored on your device's internal storage (downloads can't be saved to an SD card).
- Copies. Your account can have up to 5 copies of the same show or movie (across all profiles and devices).
- Tap the Downloads icon and then tap one of your downloads. (If you don't have a Downloads icon, make sure you're signed in.)
You can play downloaded titles when traveling to other countries. To learn more, see Watch HBO Max while traveling.
- How many? Your account can have a total of 30 downloads (across all profiles and devices). Once your account has 30 downloads, you'll need to delete downloads on a device before you can download something. To see which mobile devices have used your account, see Manage devices.
- Expiration. Unwatched downloads expire after 30 days or 48 hours after you start watching (or when the show or movie leaves the HBO Max service). Once expired, you can renew or delete a download.
- Lock icon. Your Downloads list shows all downloads on your device regardless of which profile started the download. Kid profiles can't watch downloads that are restricted by parental controls (these downloads will appear with a lock icon ).
If you're having trouble playing a download, try the following:
- Make sure you're connected to the internet and signed in (your profile should appear in the upper right).
- Close the HBO Max app.
- On your phone or tablet, turn on Airplane mode or turn off WiFi.
- Open HBO Max.
- On the Downloads screen, tap one of your downloads.
Because downloads use a large amount of data, downloading is limited to WiFi by default. You can, however, download shows and movies over your cellular network if you'd like. Here's how:
- Open HBO Max on your phone or tablet, then tap your profile (upper right).
- Tap the Settings icon , and then tap or scroll to Downloads.
- Turn off Download over Wi-Fi Only.
This setting applies to all profiles on your phone or tablet.
By default, shows and movies are downloaded using the highest quality for your device. To change your download quality:
- Tap your profile (upper right) and then the Settings icon .
- Tap or scroll to Downloads.
- Tap Download Quality and then choose:
- Highest quality: Download the highest quality (larger files, more time to download).
- Fastest download: Download a lower quality (smaller files, less time to download).
The highest download quality is 1080p. This setting applies to all profiles on your phone or tablet.
When a download expires, you'll need to renew it before you can watch it. Here's how:
- Open HBO Max and tap the Downloads icon .
- Tap the Expired icon (exclamation point) and then tap Renew (an internet connection is needed to renew a download).
Why did my download expire?
- Unwatched downloads expire 30 days after downloading (or when a show or movie leaves the HBO Max service). To find out when downloads will expire, tap the Downloads icon ().
- Once you start watching a download, you have 48 hours to finish watching it before it expires.
- You can renew a download multiple times. Downloads that are no longer available on the HBO Max service automatically expire and can't be renewed.
- Tap the Downloads icon .
- Do one of the following:
- Swipe left on a download and tap X.
- Tap the Edit icon . Then, tap X to delete a download. To delete all downloads, tap Clear all. When you're done editing, tap Done.