'Something went wrong' message or error code
If you're getting a 'Something went wrong' message or an HBO Max error code, try the following:
Things to try
You may need to try more than one of these solutions to resolve the issue.
- Phone, tablet, or TV device: Force close HBO Max, then reopen the app and try to stream.
- Computer: Close and reopen your browser, then go back to HBOMax.com and try to stream.
Try streaming different shows and movies to see if the problem happens with any show or movie, or only a particular show or movie. If the error only happens with a particular show or movie, please contact us and let us know.
Make sure you have the latest version of the HBO Max app. To do this open the app store on your device, search for HBO Max, and see if there's an update available. If there's an app update, download it and try streaming again.
Computer: Try doing a hard refresh of HBOMax.com (this is not the same as the Reload button in your browser). To find out how to do this, search the Internet for 'hard refresh' + the name of your browser (e.g. 'hard refresh Chrome').
- Sign out of HBO Max. For help, see How do I sign out?
- Turn your device off.
- Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on again.
- Open HBO Max and sign in, then try streaming again.
Try streaming HBO Max on another supported device. This will help determine if the problem is limited to a specific device.
Computer: Try using another supported browser.
Choose the device you're using and try the troubleshooting steps:
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power to your modem and wait for it to connect to the Internet (about 1 minute).
- Reconnect the power to your router and wait for it to connect to the Internet.
- Open HBO Max and try streaming again.
Still need help?
Take note of the on-screen error message or code and include it when you contact us.