Troubleshoot HBO Max on phone or tablet
If videos are buffering, see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
If the HBO Max app isn't working as expected, try the following the steps:
Step 1: Update HBO Max
- Android: Open the Play Store on your Android device and search for HBO Max. If an app update is available tap Update.
- iOS: Open the App Store on your iOS device and search for HBO Max. If an app update is available tap Update.
Step 2: Test your connection speed
Here's how to test your connection speed:
- Android: Download an Internet speed test app from the Google Play Store and test your connection speed.
- iOS: Download an Internet speed test app from the Apple App Store and test your connection speed.
You need a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps. If videos are buffering, see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
Cellular connection? If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network to see if the problem still happens.
Step 3: Restart your phone or tablet
- Hold down the power button until you're prompted to power off your device (turn the device off, instead of putting it in sleep mode).
- Wait 10 seconds and then turn your device back on.
- Open HBO Max and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Clear cache and data
Skip ahead if using an iOS device.
On your Android phone or tablet, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications (or on older Android versions, go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager).
- Tap HBO Max from the list of apps.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Clear storage (or Clear Data).
- Tap Clear cache.
- Open HBO Max, sign in, and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 5: Delete and reinstall HBO Max.
On your phone or tablet, delete the HBO Max app and then install it again from the app store.
Step 6: Update your device software
Make sure you have the latest software on your device:
- Android: Open Settings, then tap System > Advanced > System Update (if you don't see Advanced, tap About phone).
- iOS: Open Settings, then tap General > Software Update.