How do I change the language?
The text you see in the HBO Max app is in English, however, you can change the audio or subtitle language for some shows and movies.
Some shows and movies have multiple audio and subtitle languages available. Here's how to change the audio track or subtitle language:
- Start watching something on HBO Max.
- Choose the Audio and Subtitles icon in the video player.
- Choose a language for Audio and/or Subtitles.
To learn more, see Subtitles, captions, and audio tracks.
By default, shows and movies in languages other than English play with the original audio track and English subtitles.
Some shows or movies have language options (e.g. Spanish/English/Japanese) on their description page. Before choosing Play, toggle the language to your preferred language.
International: Shows and movies from around the world are available in the International genre.
- In HBO Max, choose the Menu icon (upper left) or the Browse icon (on TV devices), and then choose International.
International HBO series and movies play with the original audio and English subtitles (no audio dubbing).
Latino: Shows and movies in Spanish and Portuguese are available in the Latino genre.
- In HBO Max, choose the Menu icon (upper left) or the Browse icon (on TV devices), and then choose Latino.