Download HBO Max shows and movies
You can download shows and movies on your phone or tablet and watch them later when you're offline.
To download something, you need:
- An internet connection
- The HBO Max app on your phone or tablet
Here's how to download:
- Open the HBO Max app on your phone or tablet.
- Make sure you're signed in and connected to a WiFi network. By default, downloading is limited to WiFi. To change this, tap the Profile icon > Settings (upper left) > Video Options, and then turn off Download Over WiFi Only.
- Choose an episode or movie that you want to download. Most shows and movies are available to download.
- Tap the Download icon (arrow pointing down).
- The circle shows you the download progress. You can tap this icon to pause and resume downloading. To see your download progress, you can also tap the Profile icon and then Downloads.
Your account can have up to 30 downloads at one time (expired items are not counted). This is across all profiles and devices.
Once you start watching a download, you have 48 hours to finish watching it before it expires. Once expired, you can renew or delete the download.
- Audio and subtitles. You can choose your audio and subtitle language once you start watching. For some shows and movies, you may need to choose a language before downloading.
- Copies. Your account can have up to 5 copies of the same show or movie (across all profiles and devices).
- SD card storage. Titles that you download are stored on your device's internal storage (downloads can't be saved to an SD card).
To view your downloads:
- Tap the Profile icon (bottom edge on phones, left edge on tablets) and then tap Downloads (you need to be signed in to view/play your downloads).
To watch a download:
- Tap the Profile icon, tap Downloads, and then tap the Play icon (triangle) on one of your downloads.
You can play shows and movies that you've downloaded when traveling to other countries. To learn more, see Stream HBO Max while traveling.
- How many? Your account can have a total of 30 downloads (across all profiles and devices). Once your account has 30 downloads, you'll need to delete downloads on a device before you can download something. To see which mobile devices have used your account, go to your Profile and choose Manage Devices.
- Expiration. Unwatched downloads expire after 30 days or 48 hours after you start watching (or when the show or movie leaves the HBO Max service). Once expired, you can renew or delete a download.
- Lock icon. When you go to Downloads, you'll see all of the downloads on your device regardless of which profile started the download. Kid profiles can't watch downloads that are restricted by parental controls (these downloads will appear with a lock icon).
If you're having trouble playing a download, try the following:
- While you're connected to the internet, tap the Profile icon to make sure you're signed in.
- Close the HBO Max app.
- On your phone or tablet, turn on Airplane mode or turn off WiFi.
- Open HBO Max. You should be taken to the Downloads page.
- Tap the Play icon (triangle) on one of your downloads.
If you have a 3G or faster cellular connection, you can stream HBO Max over your cellular network using your mobile data. However, because streaming video uses a large amount of data you might want to limit streaming to WiFi connections.
To limit streaming over a cellular network:
- Open HBO Max on your phone or tablet, tap the Profile icon (sign in if needed).
- Tap the Settings icon (upper-left) and then Video Options.
To limit streaming to WiFi connections, turn on Stream Over WiFi Only.
If you would like to get a warning before streaming over your cellular network, turn on Cellular Streaming Warning.
By default, shows and movies are downloaded using the highest quality for your device.
To change your download quality:
- Tap the Profile icon and then the Settings icon (upper left).
- Tap Video Options.
- Tap Download Quality and then choose:
- Highest quality: Download the highest quality (larger files, more time to download).
- Fastest download: Download a lower quality (smaller files, less time to download).
The Download Quality setting applies to all profiles on your phone or tablet. The highest download quality is 1080p.
When a download expires, you'll need to renew it before you can watch it.
To renew a download:
- Tap the Profile icon and then tap Downloads.
- Tap the ! icon on your expired download and then tap Renew (an internet connection is needed to renew a download).
Why did my download expire?
- Unwatched downloads expire 30 days after downloading (or when the show or movie leaves the HBO Max service). To find out when your downloads will expire, go to your Downloads list.
- Once you start watching a download, you have 48 hours to finish watching it before it expires.
- You can renew a download multiple times. Downloads that are no longer available on the HBO Max service will automatically expire and can't be renewed.
To delete a download:
- Tap the Profile icon and then tap Downloads.
- Tap Edit.
- Tap the X next to a download to delete it. To delete all of your downloads, tap Clear all.
- When you're done editing, tap Done.