Fix sound issues
If you're having audio troubles with HBO Max, try the following:
Play another show or movie
Try playing a different show or movie to see if you have sound issues with another show or movie. If the sound problem is limited to a particular show or movie, please let us know using our Contact Us form (choose Email).
Sound issues with multiple shows or movies?
Choose the device you're using and try the troubleshooting steps:
HBO Max with Dolby Digital Plus audio is available on the following devices:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast Ultra
- Samsung TV (models that support Dolby Digital Plus)
- Xbox One
Things to try
Sound issues may be due to your setup, audio settings, or your network connection. Here are some things to try:
- Unplug your TV device, wait a minute, and plug it back in again.
- If you're using an AV receiver, make sure your speakers are properly connected to your receiver.
- Make sure the volume on your TV is not low or muted.
- Try playing another show or movie to see if the issue is limited to a specific show or movie. If a show or movie is available in Dolby Digital, you'll see 5.1 in the description.
- Disconnect and reconnect both ends of your HDMI cable.
- Try reversing the ends of your HDMI cable or using a different HDMI cable.
- Try using another HDMI port on your TV.
By default, Apple TV uses the best audio format available. If surround sound isn't working, try changing the audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1. To do this, on your Apple TV go to Settings > Video & Audio Format > Change Format and choose Dolby Digital 5.1 (instead of Use Best Available).
If changing the audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1 doesn't help, try changing the Audio Format to Stereo. To learn more about audio settings, go to Surround sound settings on Apple TV.
Go to Settings > Display & Sound, then scroll to the right and select HDMI audio. Set HDMI audio to 5.1 uncompressed, then select Bitstream Format and set it to Dolby Digital.
If you're still experiencing audio issues, try switching the audio setting on your device to stereo sound.
If you're experiencing low volume or no sound, please try the following:
- Turn up the volume on your device and in HBO Max (when a video is playing, tap the screen and adjust the volume in the upper-right corner).
- Plug in headphones to see if there's sound.
- Try turning off Bluetooth on your device to make sure your device isn't sending audio to a Bluetooth accessory (in Settings on your Android or iOS device).
- Make sure the Do Not Disturb option is not enabled on your device.
If you're having audio troubles when streaming at HBOMax.com, try the following steps:
- Check the volume control in the HBO Max video player and on your computer to make sure they're not muted or set low.
- If you're using external speakers, check your speaker cables and the volume control.
- Update your browser to the latest version. To find out how to do this, search the Internet for 'How to update + name of your browser' (e.g. How to update Chrome browser).
- Try using another supported browser.