Troubleshoot HBO Max on your computer
If videos are buffering, see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
The highest resolution supported by HBOMax.com is 1080p. If your video resolution is greater than 1080p, videos might not play full screen or may be clipped off. To resolve this, try changing your screen resolution.
If you're having trouble playing videos on your computer, try these steps:
Step 1: Update your browser
Make sure you're using a supported browser. See supported browsers
If your browser is supported, update your browser to the latest version. To find out how to do this, search the Internet for 'update + the name of your browser' (i.e. update Chrome browser).
Step 2: Test your connection
To do this, open a new browser window and search for 'Internet speed test.' Then run a speed test. You need a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps. If videos are buffering, see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
Step 3: Change your autoplay setting
Change your browser's settings to allow autoplay for the play.hbomax.com website. To find out how to do this, search the Internet for 'autoplay + the name of your browser' (i.e. autoplay Chrome browser).
If you're using Safari 11 or later on your Mac, try these steps:
- Open the Safari browser and go to HBOMax.com.
- From the Safari menu, choose Settings for This Website.
- Hover your mouse beside Auto-Play and choose Allow All Auto-Play.
- Reload the page (hold down the Option and Command keys and then press R).
If you still have trouble playing videos, update your maxOS (which includes the Safari browser) to the latest version your computer can use. To find out how, see Apple's Keep your Mac up to date article.
Step 4: Clear the cache and reopen your browser
- Clear your browser's cache. To find out how to do this, search for 'clear cache' in your browser's help.
- Close and reopen your browser.
- Sign in to HBOMax.com and try playing a video.
Step 5: Try a different browser
Try using a different supported browser.
If you don't have any problems with a different browser, check your browser configuration:
- Make sure third-party cookies are enabled
- Disable ad-blocking software.
- Turn off private browsing or incognito mode.
- Disable browser plug-ins, extensions, and add-ons.