Troubleshoot HBO Max on a phone or tablet
If videos are buffering, please see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
If the HBO Max app isn't working as expected, try the following the steps:
Step 1: Update HBO Max
- Android: Open the Play Store on your Android device and search for HBO Max. If an app update is available tap Update.
- iOS: Open the App Store on your iOS device and search for HBO Max. If an app update is available tap Update.
Step 2: Test your connection speed
Here's how to test your connection speed:
- Android: Download an Internet speed test app from the Google Play Store and test your connection speed.
- iOS: Download an Internet speed test app from the Apple App Store and test your connection speed.
You need a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps. If videos are buffering, please see HBO Max loads slow, buffers, or pauses.
Cellular connection? If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network to see if the problem still happens.
Step 3: Restart your phone or tablet
- Hold down the power button until you're prompted to power off your device (turn the device off, instead of putting it in sleep mode).
- Wait 10 seconds and then turn your device back on.
- Open HBO Max and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Clear cache and data
Android only. Skip ahead if using an iOS device.
On your Android phone or tablet, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications (or on older Android versions, go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager).
- Tap HBO Max in the list of apps.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Clear storage (or Clear Data).
- Tap Clear cache.
- Open HBO Max, sign in, and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 5: Delete and reinstall HBO Max.
On your phone or tablet, delete the HBO Max app and then install it again from the app store.
Step 6: Update your device software
Make sure you have the latest software on your device:
- Android: Open Settings,then tap System > Advanced > System Update (if you don't see Advanced, tap About phone).
- iOS: Open Settings, then tap General > Software Update.