Service Error. What should I do?
If you're getting a service error, try the following steps:
Step 1: Update HBO Max
Make sure you have the latest version of the HBO Max app. To do this open the app store on your device, search for HBO Max, and see if there's an update available. If there's an app update, download it and see if the issue is resolved.
Computer: Go to HBOMax.com and do a hard refresh for the page. To find out how to do this, search the Internet for 'hard refresh' + the name of your browser (e.g. 'hard refresh Chrome’).
Step 2: Restart your device
- Turn your device off.
- Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on again.
- Open HBO Max and see if the issue is resolved.
Step 3: Play another show or movie
Try playing different shows and movies to see if the problem happens with any show or movie, or only a particular show or movie. If the service error only happens with a particular show or movie, please contact us and let us know.
If you get a service error with any show or movie, try the next step.
Step 4: Try another device
Try streaming HBO Max on another supported device. This will help determine if the problem is limited to a specific device. If you experience the same error on another device, skip ahead to Step 6.
Computer: Try using another supported browser.
Step 5: Try device troubleshooting
Step 6: Restart your network devices
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power to your modem and wait for it to connect to the Internet (about 1 minute).
- Reconnect the power to your router and wait for it to connect to the Internet.
- Open HBO Max and see if the problem is resolved.